New Facebook Like Plugin for WordPress

by AJ on March 3, 2011

I’ve gotten really lots of emails to improve on my Simple Facebook Like plugin and it took me awhile to build it. I was extremely busy with other important things. So here you go, the latest WordPress Facebook Like Plugin. Now with admin options to change the look and feel as well as other options.

WordPress Facebook Like Plugin – Adds a Facebook “Like” Button to your blog posts and increase your visitor engagement instantly! This plugin adds a simple and easy to use Facebook Like functionality with admin options to change the location of Facebook Like button, font, show faces, use the box with count as well as other cool and useful options. Visitors “liking” your content automatically posts them as shared item on their Facebook profile with a thumbnail of your site’s image post. Pretty cool!

The Like button lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. When the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user’s friends’ News Feed with a link back to your website.

Wordpress Facebook Like Plugin

Admin screenshot:

More information about the Facebook Like Plugin for WordPress here

Hope you like it.

Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @ajbatac

74 comments

Hello ,

Week ago I have asked for your permission to translate your WordPress Facebook Like Plugin plugin in Spanish and I didn’t hear any from you since.
I hope that you will find time to provide the reply, because we believe that the translation would be of a great use. Please reply directly on my email.

All the best,

Andrew Kurtis
WebHostingHub

by Andrew Kurtis on April 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM. Reply #

This plugin is great. However, it only works on posts and galleries, i’d like it to work on pages and portfolios as well. Is there a way you could code it in? or perhaps give me the shortcode to embed the plugin into my pages and portfolios post.

Regards.

by Jin Hao on November 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM. Reply #

Hi,

i really like this plugin. I just miss one feature:
Can´t see all likers. For example “Me, Person A and 10 other persons like this.”

I can´t look, which 10 other person this are. Why? Would be good, to see – which persons this are?!

I hope, you can help.

Regards,
Kornelius

by Kornelius on December 27, 2012 at 5:09 AM. Reply #

Hi Kornelius, the 10 other persons are not your friend on Facebook. And they could have had their profiles private. You can’t see people’s profiles if they are private or not your friends (yet).

by AJ on December 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reply #

So i would not be able to see, where likes my pictures?

At WordPress i only see two names (my and another person) – on Facebook i see 5 of 10 Likes :(

That is irritating me.

Regards,
Kornelius

by Kornelius on December 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM. Reply #

Hello,

The plugin was working fine until this afternoon… Despite no updates to anything, it just stopped working. The facebook ‘like’ and ‘share’ buttons, which worked totally fine this morning, are not displaying now. In addition, the Facebook Like Box I’ve manually put on the site, does not display now either.

Have you heard of this before? Any ideas?

by Josh on April 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM. Reply #

I also love your plug in. Everything works fine on my posts page, but the facebook stuff does not show up on my home page which I have set to show the posts. Any thoughts about that?

by John Sarvey on March 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM. Reply #

May hap i am crazy, but now that I have the plugin, I do not know how to install it

by Tara Woodruff on January 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM. Reply #

Hi,

great work on this plugin.
But I got a problem with my archive pages, the plug-in doesn’t work their. What can I do?

I can see the plug-in on the single page and the index page, but it doesn’t work on category or archive pages.

Best,

Niko

by Niko on January 22, 2012 at 7:55 AM. Reply #

Really awesome dude..thanks

by juwel on January 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM. Reply #

I have installed your facebook PI. & it functions, but the admin for it does not appear in the side menu? using
eDegree° ? not html fluent! tanx.

by george on December 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM. Reply #

Sorry for bothering you because I’ve just found out that the problem was not caused by your plugin. Your plugin works great, thanks:)

by Mike on December 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM. Reply #

Hello,
I’ve installed your plugin on my wordpress blog and everything was fine until I started playing with the custom settings:/ After changing them a bit I’ve noticed that my post on the home page doesn’t show up. I would really appreciate if you could help me. Thank you in advance

by Mike on December 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM. Reply #

Hi there. Thanks for developping… I’ve seen it work on other sites, but I can’t seem to activate it on my back end. The script installed correctly, and also I see the config in the dashboard, and no errors… but still I don’t see it on my pages! What could I have done wrong?

Greetings,

Guy

by Guy on December 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM. Reply #

I’ve sent you an email.

by aj on December 5, 2011 at 9:48 AM. Reply #

Thx for this great plugin! Is it possible to translate “like” and “recommend” into German? How can I do that?

by Steph on October 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM. Reply #

Great plugin?
Question.
How do i know who has liked the content besides the people shown? For example it says 3 names and ’12 others’… how do i find out who the 12 others are?

by Francis Almeda on October 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reply #

If the 12 others are your friends or inside your social network, then you should see them. If those 12 others aren’t your friends on facebook or part of your social circle, then you won’t see them. It follows the privacy rules of Facebook. Hope this helps.

by aj on October 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reply #

Hey, thanks for this great plugin!
Dumb question, but how do I see who has liked the content? Right now, it only shows a couple names and ’12 others’.. how do i find out who those 12 others are?

thanks!

by Francis Almeda on October 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM. Reply #

[…] by aj on April 21, 2010 UPDATE: Use this new version instead […]

by Add the new Facebook “Like” Button Widget Plugin on your Wordpress Blog | ajb{log} on September 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM. Reply #

Hi,

Love the plugin! One question which has been driving me mad!!! When someone likes a post and it is posted to their FB profile, where is the image that appears with the link sourced from? I would like to change the image but I can’t seem to find where. For some reason, it occasionally picks up a random image from the website that is inappropriate for the post the person liked eg. a competitor’s advertising banner. Please, please help…
Thanks so much,
Sue

by Sue on September 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM. Reply #

By default, Facebook doesn’t know what images to pick. This is why you have to guide it. Research about OG Tags on Facebook and apply this piece of feature in your blog.

by aj on September 8, 2011 at 7:22 PM. Reply #

Its not working for me !!!
I was using Simple Facebook like button at first but it started giving error on likes.
Upgraded to this one but this one doesnt even display the like button.
Any suggestions ?

by Bee on September 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reply #

Thanks a lot for mentioning WPBeginner in the article. From our experience, Facebook like has produced significant traffic increase to our site. Not to mention facebook is the 3rd largest source of traffic on WPBeginner.

by pete on August 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM. Reply #

Is there an option to load the FB connect java script asynchronously?

Thanks for the plugin!

by nodch on August 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM. Reply #

I disabled faces yet there is still a lot of whitespace. How can I clean that up?

by Chris Colotti on August 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM. Reply #

Hi!

I have the same issue – since a few days ago the plugin seems to not work – when users click on the “like” button it seems like the “Like” is recorded but then it reverts back to “not liked” state…please fix asap – love the plugin! :)

Thanks!

– Jussi

by Jussi Solja on July 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM. Reply #

My FB like button seems to have stopped tabulating clicks once I downloaded WP 3.2. Are they compatible? Do you have an update coming?

I like your product and would love to keep using it.

Thanks

by Rick on July 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reply #

I have the same problem as someone above:

2. Also there was this weird thing with /?fb_xd_fragment showing up after all the clicks in my logs.

The folks at StatCounter say your script might be interferring with theirs.

I want to test it out by removing the FB Like button, but it is not among my list of plugins so I can’t deactivate.

How can I deactivate?

Thank you.
Lori Lavender Luz recently posted… Fort LuzMy Profile

by Lori Lavender Luz on June 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reply #

Please add the option to automatically add a “Like” button to feed items. Right now they only show up on the website, but a lot of people only read the feed.
Elver Loho recently posted… 85 vastanutest ei ole domeenireformiga rahulMy Profile

by Elver Loho on May 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reply #

It’s a good idea but the Facebook Like uses javascript and iFrames which are both not supported by RSS.

by aj on May 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reply #

Well, all the HTML content of a post (including javascript) is slapped into content:encoded element in RSS. And some feed readers support displaying javascript in posts.

For example, check out my feed, which includes an interactive javascript piechart: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kogukond

by Elver Loho on May 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM. Reply #

Putting scripts on your feed is a security risk. Please read this: http://validator.w3.org/feed/docs/warning/SecurityRisk.html

by aj on May 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM. #

That guide is for developers of client-side applications like feed readers. It is entirely up to them whether they want to strip out script tags or not. Worst that can happen — no like button.

Anyway, I made the changes to the plugin myself.

by Elver Loho on May 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM. #

Hi,

Our website is in turkish but plugin’s language is english. Is there a way to change it ?
finansglobal recently posted… Aracı kurumların aktif büyüklüğü 74 milyar TL’ye ulaştıMy Profile

by finansglobal on May 18, 2011 at 7:00 AM. Reply #

is there a way to remove the like post on specific page/post?

by chad on May 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM. Reply #

Hi,

how do i define which picture appears on fb ? very much would like it to be the “featured” picture, ot the inserted picture. now it seems to be “any” picture…

thanks for ur help

sandro
sandro recently posted… Lunch menu 16-5My Profile

by sandro on May 13, 2011 at 4:00 AM. Reply #

Hi. I have the same issue – when clicking ‘like’ from a post a random picture is taken from my site and used as the featured picture in facebook. Is this a plugin or facebook issue? Thanks.

by Rob on June 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM. Reply #

AJ,

Your plug-in has alot of promise for me, but I am having difficulty with one thing. When, I click the “like” button for a post on my blog, it creates an entry on my facebook wall, but it does not seem to notify any of my friends in their news feeds. Is this expected behavior with the plug-in? If not, do you know what I can do to have people’s friends alterted when they like one of my blog posts?

Thanks in advance, Michael
Michael Pollack recently posted… Avocet ReflectionMy Profile

by Michael Pollack on May 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reply #

Yes. That is the behavior of the Facebook Like. It only posts to your wall.

by AJ Batac on May 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM. Reply #

1. It always shows the wrong icon. Really annoying.

3. I deactivated it again.

by Me on May 6, 2011 at 5:37 AM. Reply #

I really like your plugin, it was working great until 2 days. I didn’t have changed anything on my blog, it just stopped working somehow.
So i deinstalled it and downloaded and installed the newest version. But still, it’s not working anymore :(
Any idea what could have caused it?

by Mark on May 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM. Reply #

Hello, and thank you for this plugin.
Just one thing : it really pisses me when I click on a button somewhere on the net and I see, much later, that something was automatically posted on my Facebook wall because of that click.
So, I don’t want my readers to feel the same !
Do you think that you could make this “automatic post” an option in the next version ?

Thank you again, nice work.

by Stella on April 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM. Reply #

There is actually no way for a WordPress plugin to have that option. It all being done on Facebook’s side of things.

by AJ Batac on April 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reply #

Hi, I have installed the plugin as required and checked the option to show faces. On one post I have 7 people liking it but only 3 faces showing up? I have it set it to default width & height 450 x 100.

Is there any way I can check who has liked the posts?

Thanks

by Gary on April 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM. Reply #

Out of those 7 people, 3 are within your social circle. Facebook will not show the faces when they’re not in your social graph and made their profile private.

All liked posts are in their respective Facebook profiles.

by aj on April 12, 2011 at 7:34 AM. Reply #

Hi AJ,

i downloaded your plug in and adjusted the Settings however the LIke button is not appearing ANYWHERE. Can you please tell me I’m doing wrong? My blog is http://www.youknowyoucare.com

by Sonya on March 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM. Reply #

Great plug-in, but there is no option to uninstall it.. why?
Neeraj recently posted… Picture of the Week 82My Profile

by Neeraj on March 25, 2011 at 10:40 PM. Reply #

@neeraj, just disable the plugin.

by aj on March 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM. Reply #

Great plug-in, but there is no option to uninstall it… why?
Neeraj recently posted… Picture of the Week 82My Profile

by Neeraj on March 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reply #

hi AJ, i find your plugin is very very great. I have used it on my new blog. Thing goes well

But i have a question, when me or my friends click on the button like on my blog, it will appear the link of my blog on their facebook profil page and beside of the link to my blog, there is alway one emoticon randomly.
Can you tell me how to deactivate that ?
If you want, you can check out my blog and try to click on the button like on one of my post, then you will see on your profil page of facebook.

here, it appeared on my facebook page :

Thank you very much.

by huno on March 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM. Reply #

Hi, to those having issues with Facebook placing a wrong image, please install this plugin. http://blog.ashfame.com/2011/02/wordpress-plugin-fix-facebook-like-thumbnail/ it promises to fix the FB like thumbnail.

To those who are quite knowledgeable in PHP, Facebook crawls the blog automatically every 24 hours and grabs the first image it sees. If you want to specify a custom thumbnail, please have a read at their Open Graph Protocol.

The issues has nothing to do with the WordPress Facebook Like Plugin.

Thanks!

by aj on March 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM. Reply #

Looks like a really good plugin. Can you help me find one that lets you do a “share”?

by Facebook Development on March 24, 2011 at 3:07 AM. Reply #

I use ShareThis for that. It has the same functionality.

by aj on March 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM. Reply #

Awesome Plugin Aj! Keep up the great work!

Bob

Bob Doran recently posted… A High Energy Business!My Profile

by Bob Doran on March 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM. Reply #

I absolutely cannot select different images for the like post on the FB page after a reader likes the blog. What comes up is an image unrelated to the blog. How do I set the images? I have tried plugins specializing in this problem (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-image-src-meta-tag/installation/) No results. Suggestions? Thanks!

by Lisa on March 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM. Reply #

do you have standalone version of this plugin? JS or smth. thanx

by Soda on March 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reply #

How do I manually place the Like button where I want it to be? I cant figure it out.

Thank you!

by Courtney on March 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reply #

I would like to know the same. How can I manually place the like button where I want it to go

by brian johnson on March 31, 2011 at 6:41 AM. Reply #

Hey AJ, love the plugin. I was wondering if there was a way I could target the area in which it’s being put into. I know it’s currently targetting “the_content” but let’s say I wanted to target a specific div like the META div for instance.

Thanks dude.

Dave

by David Toro on March 5, 2011 at 8:08 PM. Reply #

Hi Dave, that’s not yet supported. But keep the wish list coming. I’ll try to add them in the future versions.

Regards,
AJ

by aj on March 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM. Reply #

how to change the image that goes to the facebook profile? the thumbnail?

And when i click like it creates two like post into my profile..

Andre recently posted… Trento- ItalyMy Profile

by Andre on March 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM. Reply #

Hi Andre, this is not covered in this plugin. However, it’s actually easy to implement if you know some kind of web scripting.

If you want to read more about it, it’s called Open Graph.

Please try this https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/opengraph/ (I haven’t personally tried this but it might do just the job).

Let us know!

Thanks.

AJ

by aj on March 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM. Reply #

ok thank you, i tried that plug in but isn’t working for me, i’m getting crazy with this. I think the problem is that i created a cname to point to my new website :S
Andre recently posted… Trento- ItalyMy Profile

by Andre on March 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reply #

is fixed now thank you, great plugin!

by Andre on March 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM. #

@4script, here’s what you do:

1) Download and use Firefox (just to be 100% sure)

a) Update your Adobe Flash Player Installation

b) and check all plugins if they are up to date

3) Please clear your cache, restart browser

4) Try again and let us know
aj recently posted… New Facebook Like Plugin for WordPressMy Profile

by aj on March 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM. Reply #

@Aj

1) I always use FireFox 3.6.3 becouse he without a container.
With a container for the flash I have a problem, it loads my CPU very much.

2) I always have all the new plugins have been updated.

3) Because my question was different, I did not need to clean the cache.
4) After all I knew how everything works. It’s all work OK! :)
Thank You Very Much for All! Great plugin!

I’m sorry for what took your time on stupid question. I’m going to change :)

by 4script on March 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM. Reply #

No worries.

Cheers!

by aj on March 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM. Reply #

@Aj
Hi again! If I am not logged into facebook, I can not click on the “I Like” button, and then I click on the link “log in” and the link I see this compaign-ID number in link. Now I checked on other sites such as click-and everywhere had the same number is likely to be so, and this number is given automatically to each user’s unique ID number. If I’m wrong correct me please. Thank You For Help.

by 4script on March 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM. Reply #

@4script, what is a campaign ID?

by aj on March 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM. Reply #

Hi, Aj! I Like You plugin and use now, but I do not understand. Why do I have and you have the same compaign-ID? What does this mean? Can you explain to me? Thank You!

by 4script on March 4, 2011 at 7:13 AM. Reply #

[…] WP Theme zum Magazin ThemeWordPress Facebook Like PluginPubliziert 4. März 2011 | Von khkDas WordPress Facebook Like Plugin integriert den Facebook Like Button mit einigen interessanten Optionen in das WordPress Blog. Die […]

by WordPress Facebook Like Plugin | Scripts United on March 4, 2011 at 1:05 AM. Reply #

Got to check this out very soon.

by Lysender on March 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM. Reply #

This Plugin is simply brilliant! Thank you. Been looking for a clean and simple facebook share button that doesn`t destroy my layout, but improves it instead.
Marius recently posted… Nicki Minaj feat Eminem – Romans RevengeMy Profile