Today, I transferred a domain away from Godaddy. Not because they’re not good, but because I wanted to consolidate my domains in one location.
Here’s how I did it:
1) Unlock your domain at GoDaddy
2) Go to your preferred domain registrar, initiate the transfer. Make sure your domain name is transferrable (see #1)
3) After you have paid for the transfer, your preferred domain registrar will ask you to enter an Authorization Code (sometimes called as EPP or transfer secret info/code), on GoDaddy, you’ll find it here. Add email@example.com to your address book and/or whitelist. The email will come from it.
4) Once you get the authorization code, enter it on your preferred registrar. The transfer will now continue.
5) GoDaddy will ask you to authorize the transfer. Login to your account and go to “Domains” >> “Pending Transfers” >> select the domain
6) On the pending transfers list, click the domain you are transferring
7) You will see a screen like the one below. Click the “Accept/Decline” button
7) A overlay window will popup and just select “Accept” and click “OK”. And that should be it.
You should receive 2 emails from GoDaddy confirming the transfer.
That’s it. I made this post because I found that domain transfers are somehow one of the most challenging tasks in owning a domain. And I do hope that this post outlines how to do it away from GoDaddy.